Book-A-Holic Anon

A Political Affair

A Political Affair - Mary Whitney I received an email from a publicist for The Writer's Coffee Shop asking if I would be interested in reading this novel about two people finding each other during an election season. Now mind you I was approached just as our own election season was reaching the end and I wasn't sure if I really wanted to deal with more about politics.. I'm glad I said "Yes" and even happier that I got the chance to read this plus support it.Stephen McEvoy is the only member of an extremely close political family that can be a bit overbearing. He's the designated heir to the throne that is his family's political machine and while he loves working for the people he really wants to have something for himself. He took over his dad's Senate seat when his father passed away but other than that sense of duty you get the feeling he isn't in a good place. He plays a bit fast and loose with women but all affairs are kept very discrete except for those times when he has a regular face to take out in front of the press. He's shocked when he meets a new intern in his office (10 years younger intern) that catches his interest. She shares a lot of the same interests he does and he finds himself wishing that he was anybody else so he could pursue her.Anne Norwood is the lone Democrat in her family and while she knows her father isn't 100% happy with her politics he believes in her enough to not push to stop her from becoming an intern in Democrat Senator McEvoy's office. He doesn't speak up for her to get the slot but doesn't stand in the way. She is also instantly attracted to Stephen but realizes it would not be a wise thing to even consider that he might be interested in her. I mean he's a Senator that dates movie stars and other gorgeous women of power so what would he want with a college student. She's smart and has a great head on her shoulders for someone that is only 22. I liked that while she was interested in him she wasn't a pushover when it came to deciding her own future and path in life. She knows her mind and always tried to do what was right even if it sucked.While there were a few parts that lagged a bit for me this was a great story overall. We have political back-stabbing, ex-flings, smarmy politicos and a great family for both leads which make for a fun story with a bit of truth behind it. I could definitely see this happening and appreciated that while their relationship did start under what could be considered illicit circumstances nothing was truly done without the consent of both parties and calmer, clearer heads prevailed. The relationship builds nicely as both had to decide that what they felt was worth the potential consequences and of course that love is worth any hurdles it requires to cross.Go grab this one as it is a great read with a lot of heart and wit.