Book-A-Holic Anon

Shadow Rising: Number 3 in series (Dark Dynasties)

Shadow Rising - Kendra Leigh Castle I have to say this was an interesting read. I found the world Kendra has built to be a fascinating one that I will have to read more of. This is the third book in the series but my first one so I can feel safe in advising that you can read this without having read the previous books. Ariane is a Grigori, a noble vampire race that is mysterious to all outsiders. She has lived a life trapped at the luxurious desert compound and wants out to find her friend that has vanished. She is unusual for a Grigori due to her emotions which have made her an outcast in her society. She escapes the compound and promptly begins her search for her friend. One of the leads she follows up on leads to her run-in with Damien. She finds him annoying, overbearing and sexy as hell. As much as she doesn't want anything to do with him she knows she will need to work with him to get to the bottom of Sammael's disappearance. Of course those of us reading know these two have some smoking hot chemistry and will at least scratch the itch if not make it more permanent. Damien is one broody, overbearing man but this masks a surprisingly tender man. He believes himself to be worthless and doesn't think that he deserves or is capable of love. He tries at almost every turn to deny his feelings for Ariane but knows he wants her in his bed. He is frustrating at times and towards the end of the book you just want to slap some sense in to him. Even with all this going against him he is one majorly sexy beast that purrs. He has friends that he is incredibly loyal to even if he acts like he has no cares in the world.When the two of them get together it is not only smokingly hot but unbelievably tender. They are a perfect match in that he will protect her but understands she can kick butt provided you can get her to think for a second before she acts. She will make him feel and provide him a safe harbor where he can finally belong and let his walls come down. The story itself was interesting and I am looking forward to reading the first 2 in the series plus any additional books that come out. The next book should prove to be interesting as this one leaves the world in a bit of a mess.Go grab this and take a chance.Thanks to NetGalley.com and Grand Central Publishing/Forever for giving me the chance to read this in exchange for my honest review.