Book-A-Holic Anon

Too Hot to Handle

Too Hot to Handle - Victoria Dahl I enjoyed this story because I really do understand where Merry was coming from when she feels like she is always the buddy. As a fellow friend zone female all the way through high school I felt her pain in that regard. I was happy to know that she ends up getting the HEA she deserved with a man who wasn't perfect but really did belong to her in the end.Merry has been floating through life but really has always just wanted to find somewhere she could prove her worth and really do something. She finds this place when she is offered the chance to restore and preserve an old ghost town. She also finds a man who makes her want to end her drought if only he could be interested in her. When she finds out she was just hired to act as a way for the trust to win a lawsuit brought by the grandson of the trust creator to get the money that was slated to go to it from the estate , she's understandably devastated. Being Merry she picks herself up and decides to push forward by hiring a carpenter to start fixing up the town and by deciding to go for it where the hunky neighbor is concerned. I mean not like he's really going to be interested in her as anything other than a pity fling but hey why not scratch the itch if he's willing to play along. She's sweet, cute, quirky and definitely someone you want to protect from all the ugly in the world but not because you think she's weak or silly but because everyone needs one of those people who can make you smile just because they are so nice.Shane has an agenda when he meets Merry and discovers that she is working for the trust wanting to save the ghost town he just wants to be forgotten. He's the person holding up the money but isn't ready to tell her exactly who he is. He starts off just working out on the town to see what the board is doing out on the property but as he spends more time around her he starts to see what she sees in the town and also that she pushes all the right buttons in him. He's drawn to her and as he spends more time with her has a harder time telling her the truth about himself because he just wants to have her still like him and not hate him. He's convinced that he's never going to fall in love or be able to be a true partner in a committed relationship because of his family's history but as well all know…. in romance land these are the men that fall the hardest… ;-)This was a nice sweet read with a good amount of heat but I enjoyed the heart behind their actions and that Merry really isn't what she seems to be but is stronger than even she realized. She and Shane are such a good match that you will root for as they work through their issues.Thanks to NetGalley.com and Harlequin for giving me the chance to read this in exchange for my honest review.