Book-A-Holic Anon

A Galactic Holiday: How the Glitch Saved ChristmasGalileo's HolidayWinter Fusion

A Galactic Holiday - Anna Hackett, Stacy Gail, Sasha Summers, Angela James Once again another fun holiday anthology from Carina Press edited by the wonderful Angela James. In this case she's also very generous as she was nice enough to send me a copy of this after I tweeted for ideas of what to read next. :-) This is an excellent read for any sci-fi/fantasy fans who also like a bit of heat and romance.Again Angela - Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!How the Glitch Saved Christmas, by Stacy GailReina is an oddity in the current Chicago police force... She actually wants to stay completely human and not take advantage of all the body mods that are available. Unfortunately for her this results in her being demoted and harassed by other cops. She still wants to do her job but due to items that happened in her past cannot envision ever being turned in to a "walking toaster". She's called in on a case and while there runs in to a man who just drives her a bit insane both from a professional standpoint and a personal one. She's teamed up with him to solve this case and while they work it they finally give in to the feelings that have been simmering below the surface since the day they met.Edison is the departments poster boy. He has been willing to get every enhancement they have on the market but only because he felt it would help him serve the public better. He's smart but also believes in taking any advantage you can when it comes to hunting down bad guys. He's had his eye on Reina for a while but just can't seem to penetrate the wall she has around herself until now.The case itself was interesting and I won't give it away but what I liked best was the fact that both main characters acknowledged their weaknesses and were willing to see the others side even if it wasn't what they would have chosen for themselves. There seemed to be a good balance between them and that at times is missing in romances... Also let's just say the ending made me do a bit of an Awwww .... I will definitely keep my eye out for more by Ms. Gail.Galileo’s Holiday, by Sasha SummersRiley has almost always been alone and that's what she believes she will always be. She hasn't had a lot of human contact as an ice miner but when a raider ship destroys her spacecraft she ends up finding something that she never realized she was missing... a partner and a home. She's incredibly intelligent and watching this woman soak up human contact and love was sweet to see. She just jumps in and immediately starts to try to help the people who have taken her in and given her more kindness in an hour than she really has had her entire life. Actually I don't want to say her mom didn't love her but the lifestyle of an ice miner doesn't really seem to lend itself to any traditional human interactions...Leo ends up rescuing Riley when her ship is destroyed but he is also hiding something. You see the raiders are looking for cargo he is moving and will stop at nothing to acquire it. He's on Galileo to not only bring supplies to the people who live there but also to wait for a chance to run the life-saving supplies out to another planet. When he meets Riley he is drawn to her and they start a passionate affair. I don't think either of them ever expected to find the one for them so it was fun to see them dance around it briefly before finally giving in and taking what they wanted.I think the reason I liked this one so much was you could feel the deep loneliness both of them felt and seeing them both open up and fall was sweet to watch.Winter Fusion, by Anna HackettSavan is one of the best planetary negotiators in the galaxy but when he is forced to negotiate with a rival on Perma that's when all hell breaks loose. He's got his life mapped out for him... I mean he's next in line for the top negotiator slot on his planet... he can have his pick of women to have a child of his if he wants with no pesky commitments... all the wonderful tech gadgets he wants and the ability to travel to whatever strikes his fancy... Are we sensing he is about to have his feet knocked out from under him? Good... cause he does...Brinn hates Savan... I mean seriously hates the man. I mean his planet kept Perma from getting in to the trade union which could have allowed them to get the technology they desperately needed to save lives including her father's. She doesn't want to have to deal with him but they did win the first right to bid and negotiate for power crystals that her planet has. When he insists on visiting on Yuletide Eve she doesn't realize that she is about to be embroiled in a fight for her life and find the love she never expected.They both learn a lot as they try to keep alive and their times together were laden with tension and the right amount of heat. When they both learn more about each other and let the walls down the results were hot but also emotional. I enjoyed watching the changes they both ended up making in order to make things work and would love to see more. I'll have to keep an eye out for more by Ms Hackett.