Book-A-Holic Anon

Hurricane Lily - Rebecca Rogers Maher This is my second read from Rebecca and like the first one, Fault Lines, it made me think but in this case it didn't hit me as hard as the first story. We have a good story of two people who are very quick to judge based on surface appearances but I enjoyed the war that plays out between them as I felt both of them had things to learn about life in general. It is another story that makes you think about things that are often uncomfortable but is brought out in such a way you are interested even if you disagree with the positions the characters take.Lily has always been uncomfortable in her own skin and paranoid in such extremes that she is now a prisoner in a home that is falling down around her. She is extremely worried about a major storm coming in and blowing everything away so she decides to make the home a fortress that can withstand this doomsday scenario. She hires a contractor to do the work but wants the house to be redone not torn down. As she is forced to accept strangers in her sanctuary we get to see her slowly come out of her shell and allow this angry yet compelling man in. She pushes back at him even when all she wants to do is curl up and hide from the outside world. She's also a bit of a puzzle as we get to see this picture of a lonely child who only ever wanted to be loved by her rich, overbearing father. She's not crazy but others see her as such since she seems to disappear off the face of the earth and in to her own head.Cliff was a bit of a puzzle. He's so angry about class and wealth that it colors his views of the outside world. He is like Lily in his tendency to think the worst of everything. As he gets to know more about Lily he's intrigued by her seeming aloofness but senses vulnerability about her he really doesn't want to see. He ends up responding to her from a purely sexual standpoint but then starts to wonder what if she isn't the horrible person he assumed just because she's wealthy. Sure he was around elitists when he was in school and working his tail off to afford school and living expenses while his fellow students were spending money like water… But something about her doesn't feel the same and as he spends more time around her he finds his protective instincts coming out more and more as he studies the puzzle that is her behavior.I found myself struggling at times with both characters as I don't completely understand the doomsday mentality but I enjoyed watching them both overcome extreme anger and anxiety to find a middle ground that works for both of them. We get to see two people heal deep-seated wounds and heal each other even though at times they truly hurt one another to the quick with their comments.Thanks to Rebecca for giving me the chance to read this in hopes of a review. I enjoyed this very much even though it made me scratch my head at times. I've enjoyed both reads I've had of yours. I will definitely keep my eye out for more.