Book-A-Holic Anon

Mystic Cowboy - Sarah Anderson I have to start this review by taking a moment to appreciate the cover of this book. I mean "YUM!!" Who wouldn't want a Rebel for their very own? Madeline has decided to make a major change in her life by agreeing to be the resident doctor at a Lakota reservation. She's unaware of the issues unique to work on a reservation and the fact that money or cooperation are non-existent between the white and Indian worlds. Reality hits her in the face very quickly as she sees the condition the clinic is in, the lack of supplies, the sheer volume of patients, and the utter lack of funding. Luckily she has some money of her own and starts to bring much needed supplies and help to the area. Maddie runs in to Rebel when she is treating a gunshot victim and while immediately drawn to this fine specimen of manhood she is also a bit wary of the mystery he keeps around himself. I liked watching her figure out how to balance her need for Western medicine and Rebel's need to preserve the Lakota way of life. She finds out very quickly that he is more than what he seems but that no matter how different their life-styles are they are meant to be together. Rebel is just an amazing person. He helps everyone on the reservation with groceries, life, money, and everything in his heart. My heart broke as you find out what has made him withdraw in to himself and lose a bit of his way. His grandfather, Albert, has been an amazing influence on the man he has become and plays a vital role in making him understand the man he needs to be. He feels conflicted during most of this book by what society seems to think of him as an Indian and what he wants as a real man. His need to immerse himself fully in the Lakota way of life doesn't completely fulfill him and watching as he reconciles his need for Maddie with his shame of what his culture has sunk to was interesting to see. Sarah does a great job making the conflicts realistic as most of these prejudices between the white and Indian worlds do exist if you have ever lived near a reservation. Rebel is sexy as hell though and his need for Maddie just shines through all the conflict. She heals his soul and gives him the partner he never thought he would have. Let me tell you the skinny dipping scene alone is worth the time and money for this book. I had to fan myself a few times as I read it.Please take a chance on this novel as I don't think you will regret it. I am hoping that Sarah will give us Nobody's story and more about others on the reservation. I mean I can't pass up more chances to read about Rebel and Maddie plus the ending with Nobody made me sniffle a bit… Not truly a bad thing but he's just something else. I want to know more about him and why he is the way he is…. Special thanks to Sarah for giving me a copy of this book to read. I truly enjoyed it and this gift did not influence my rating in any way. I just loved the characters and the world she brought to life.