Book-A-Holic Anon

After the Storm - Amy Knupp I have to say this was a really nice read that made me smile and sniffle a bit. There is a lot to be said for a read that can make you feel like you are a part of the characters lives and you understand why they are doing what they are doing even if you don't like what they are doing to each other.Nadia is running a bit late. She's such a work-a-holic that she stayed later than expected during a mandatory evac of the island as a hurricane approached. As she is trying to leave a sign falls and pins her car. She can't get out and makes a call to 911 for rescue. It comes in the form of a man she rescheduled one date with then left in the middle of another to go to work. She's got major issues with taking any time for herself but instead throws herself in to the running of her family's hotel. She's good at what she does but sometimes you need something to kick you in the ass to realize work isn't everything and if you use it as a substitute for a life… you end up lonely and shortchanged.Ok.. that came out a bit harsh… not that I think everyone needs to be in a relationship to be happy but if all you have is work and you even put friendships on hold… now that is sad.Penn is obsessed with being a firefighter. It defines him and all he is.. or at least that is what he thinks.. He's not surprised that Nadia's work made her run late on evacuating since she messed up two date attempts. While he is working on getting her car free he gets hit by debris which permanently changes his future. He can't be what he loves any more and he takes it out on everyone… especially her. After all if she had left on time he wouldn't have lost his passion. He's still attracted to her but does all sorts of things to drive her away. He keeps everyone at a distance but in this story as he comes to terms with his injury and loss he learns a ton about his family and himself. Watching him wake up and heal was wonderful.Thanks to NetGalley.com and Harlequin for giving me the chance to read this in exchange for my honest review. This is worth a read for many reasons so go grab it. Check the sidebar for the link to the Harlequin store on Amazon where you can grab this and other reads from Harlequin and Carina Press.