Book-A-Holic Anon

Tainted Innocence - Joss Alexander This was an interesting book that shows how messed up justice was in 1524. People could be accused of things they did not do just because they were different or had something another powerful entity wanted. At the beginning of this story we are introduced to our main sympathetic characters: Bryony - Poor laundress/worker for the College of the Young Princes in Cambridge. She's not only different in looks from the others she also lives alone which in this time period left her open to sexual advances and accusations of witchcraft. She's not stupid but is illiterate and cannot swim (plays a part just trust me). She also isn't sure what she wants exactly other than to be safe and have someone like her. I found myself interested in her but at the same time felt a little frustrated with her back-and-forth with multiple characters. She doesn't know who to trust and in this time period she has to be careful. Luke - I liked Luke and understood where he was coming from both in his actions and his inability to truly show/tell someone what he thought of them. I find myself hoping that he and Bryony end up together even though there is no actions in this book that show you the pairing will truly come to be. You get a feeling that is what he might want but... He deserves to be happy after losing his half-brother and all the mess that said brother put him thru. The main premise of this book is Matthew (Luke's half-brother) is murdered and due to circumstances both characters above are under suspicion. There is a lot of twists and turns to this book and some interesting views of life during that time period for the haves and the have-nots. I liked this and while you are drawn to figuring out who killed Matthew the side stories keep the book interesting. Thanks to Carina Press and NetGalley.com for giving me the chance to read this in exchange for my honest review.